Thursday, 30 July 2009

My Canvas

This is my canvas prepared in the same way as Faith's with a pale green base coat. It measures about 7x9.5 inches.
I'm quite pleased with it for a first try but, ever critical of myself, I feel the Paisley designs could be angled better and the flowers spaced differently at the bottom. I know now I should have used acetate instead of card for the stencils so that I could see better where they were being placed.

I made the stencil using Paisley images from the computer and painted them with Brilliance ink. They were decorated them with swirls and spots using Stampin' Up marker pens, although they don't show up too well in the picture.
Seed beads were stitched all around the outline of the design between the small dots.
Thank goodness for the flexibility of beading needles but it does help to try and thread the right end no matter how miniscule the hole!!
I used a Cuttlebug die to make myself a small flower/leaf stencil and used pink and green Brilliance inks.
The flowers here are Primas with a small brad in the centre.These flowers are fabric ones from W H Smith. They have been trimmed a little at the back so that they sit flatter on the canvas and attached with Pin Flair glue.
The ribbon round the edge is from Hobbycraft.In reality the painted images are all slightly shimmery due to the inks used. I'm not sure what I am going to do with mine, probably hang it in my craft room once we have decorated as the colours are what I would want in there.

Faith's Canvas

I bought a couple of canvases several years ago and never did anything with them so this week while we have Faith I let her decorate one while I did the other.
I did the initial preparation for her by painting it a couple of times with a pale green tester pot of emulsion paint and leaving it to dry overnight.

Apart from help in holding the flower and heart stencils in place and glueing the ribbon around the edges it is all her own work. I think she has done a very good job of it.

She has used a few stencils with Brilliance inks and painted designs with a shimmery paint. Then she got a bit carried away with the glitter glue although it did come in handy to help disguise the part where a stamped flourish didn't quite work.
Fabric and paper flowers were held together with brads and glued into place. The raised cream colored spots are Pebeo gloss touch paint.

She inked round the edges as she has seen me do with a finger dauber dabbed onto the inkpad.

She is going to take it home with her to give to her Mum.