Friday, 2 May 2008

Get Well Card

I heard through the Stamping Mad forum this morning that a friend is not feeling too well so I decided to send this card I made yesterday.

The image is one which was very kindly sent to me a few months ago by Lynn from the forum.

I cut around it and coloured it by taking colour straight from a pencil using a waterbrush. It was layered onto an oval of card from a sample of soft lime paint by Crown paints. I gave the wings a touch of glitter glue applied with a brush.

Down one side I used a strip of Chloe Awning paper in lilac and greens from K & Co onto which I added a couple of fabric flowers held together with small brads.

A simple peel-off greeting finished the card.

I went down to the post box at lunchtime so hopefully with a first class stamp it should arrive tomorrow.

Birthday card

I can post this now the card has been received, I made it last week for a friend on the Bubbly Funk forum.
I created the background for the topper using a fabric baby wipe and either poster or watercolour paint (not sure which as I raided Faith's art box) The paint was dripped onto the wipe and blasted with a heat gun to set it and then left to dry naturally.

I wrapped a piece of the background fabric around a piece of card. Onto this I added a couple of fabric flowers highlighted with a small brad.

The card is cream with textured gold paper and cream handmade paper with gold dots layered onto it.

It's finished off with a greeting layered up the same way.

Tuesday, 29 April 2008

First challenge

I came across a Blog called Cute Card Thursday who set the challenge to make a card with the theme of 'Girls just wanna have Fun'
I've never done a challenge before so thought I would give it a go with one of my new Paper Nation stamps. I stamped the Toddler Windmill image with brown Stazon onto white card and coloured it in with watercolour pencils. I lightly dusted the card with pink chalk to soften the look.
The corners were shaped with a corner punch and it was mounted onto a piece of pink glitter card.
I used a pale pink card and layered onto it a 5cm strip of Windsor stripe from K & Co. the image was positioned onto this and the card was completed with a double row of silver peel-off lines and a simple sentiment.

I'm not sure when the entries have to be in but I enjoyed making this card and trying out my new stamp.

Baby Wipes.

This past few weeks I have trying to make my own backgrounds for the ATC swap on the Stamping Mad forum.
Firstly I used my shimmery watercolour paints on pieces of embossed, patterned loo roll. I did 4 different colour ways. I used a large paintbrush with lots of water and after loading plenty of colour onto the brush just rested my brush on the surface and let the very watery paint spread into the paper. I also let the paint drip from the brush. To finish off I then gave them a blast with the heat gun to help set the colours and dry them out a bit quicker. They were left to dry out completely overnight.

I tried the same effect with various baby wipes but the ones I am most pleased with were on fabric baby wipes as they soaked up the paint better and have an interesting texture.

These have allowed the paint to spread really well and the colours have mingled nicely. Again I used the heat gun to help dry them out but left them to finish drying on their own as they were quite moist still.

There are 2 problems as I see it to using this type of wipe. The first being that they need to be handled quite carefully so as not to stretch the fabric and the second is that the folds that were originally in them are not removed by ironing, therefore they can only be used on small projects.
However in this case as they are intended to be used on ATCs which are only small in size I may be able to work with one section of the wipe and avoid the folds.

As I said I used shimmery watercolour paints which when the brush was rested on the surface of the fabric left a silver sheen, this however does not show up on the scan.

I will post pictures of the finished cards as soon as I have my swaps back. The subject of them was to create our own backgrounds.