Tuesday 28 June 2011

I’m on a roll now!

Following on from last night’s crochet lesson I decided to find a video tutorial for a flower and this is my result.


SAM_0524


To say that i’m pleased with myself is a bit of an understatement. However this is nothing in comparison to this piece I just found of my Nan’s work. Mine is worked in DK yarn whereas hers is in fine crochet cotton.


SAM_0525I have 6 smaller coaster sized ones as well, this one measures at least 17 inches across.


SAM_0526It was made at least 40 years ago and must have taken her many hours to complete with all those tiny stitches. I remember though she used to make table mats with string so she was very versatile in her work. Funnily enough I don't remember seeing her use a pattern for anything, I suppose so many years experience gave the the confidence and knowledge to work it out for herself.


Sue xx

7 comments:

tracy said...

i love your little flower sue-well done:)
i'm really loving grandma's crochet though:)

Angelnorth said...

Well done on cracking another thing! Your grandma's mat looks fabulous!

Karen said...

WELL DONE!!!!! It can be hard to get your head around crochet but once you have you are away...your flower looks fantastic my lovely. As for your Nans mat, its gorgeous isn't it...such fine work. I have several that my Nan did too and I get so upset when I see people cut these up xxx

Anonymous said...

Well done Sue - I would love to crochet but its one of the many things I have never gotten round to!

Kaz said...

Wow Sue well done you!! I am very envious that you managed a flower so soon. It's no surprise that it's really neat though is it?!!!
Your nan's work is just amazing. What a shame you aren't able to share the joy with her xxx

Kathy said...

wow Sue, you're doing brilliantly with your crochet. These are fab

Gez Butterworth said...

BRILLIANT flower!

Your Nan's mat is beautiful. What a treasure ♥